Sunday, September 30, 2012

ITS ALMOST MIDTERMS!?

.....I cannot believe that it is almost midterm time.
It's a weird adjustment to go from 16 week semesters to 10 week quarters.

The pressure is definitely on to develop create and produce a well worked and complete body of work.

I went to the dollar general this weekend to find new props and inspiration for inventive ways to shoot the mouth.

Playing with different things such as powdered doughnuts, honey, and shaving creme have introduced new possibilities into my series.

But as i continue to play with props i realise that i still would love to incorporate different dynamics into the series.

I need to find a way to work with children in this series without parents freaking out.
I need to find a way to work with the elder in this series without being rude and awkward.

Now awkward isn't a bad trait exactly... but rude... i never want to be... unless I'm dealing with Ervin.


The series is coming slowly but surely. Hopefully not to slowly.
I feel that this may be a series that ever after the "grade" i continue to develop.
As I am introduced to new and interesting people in the area.

Speaking of dynamics....

I went to the Buckhead rich people art show with my classmates.
That was QUITE the adventure....

Viewing the two shows introduced me to two very different bodies of works
and two very different dynamics of people.

While the artist that photographs dolls (downstairs) -John Oetgen
had vibrant colors, and vibrant people
The artist that photographed the snooty (upstairs)- Martin Parr
had very boughe clientele.
and not to mention the price list!!!
$6,000 for a picture of cake.. um pass.

Any ways...
I found it very interesting and appropriate that the two shows had a different audience.
The works seemed to corrospond to the viewers.

p.s.---I'm glad I roll with a well dressed crew or we would have really stood out----

Oetgen's atmosphere was very pleasant.
Filled with laughter and joy
Drinks flowing and colorfully dressed people
Everyone was having a good time
Enjoying food, drink, and one another

While upstairs was a completely differnt story.
As soon as you reached the top of the stairs
A deathly silence greets you.
The room was scarcely scattered with men and women in dressed in black.
Quiet stares of judgement pierced us as we viewed the works.
WHAT?! Am I not good enough to be here? I thought a few times... not that I particularly cared...
I noticed the works captured a certain upper class group of people.
Gambling at horse races, watching a casual game of polo, and judging small girls beauty pageants.
There was a certain persona about those pictures.
And in the center of the room that evening
A very particular couple sat atop one another..
Judging, drinking,snooting, and looking extremely bored about the event...

How very appropriate and clear Parr's choice of gallery space became.

Anyways... just food for thought....

see ya monday..

-S


2 comments:

  1. So you're ok with being rude to me?! LOL. I would post something helpful and thoughtful but the moment has passed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going back to Hagedorn on Wednesday to talk with a gallery worker. Should be interesting

    ReplyDelete