Saturday, September 22, 2012

Alright let's blog!


Soooo.... I went to the Dr Thursday morning at 6 am.
Planning to beat the morning ER traffic
from your local college kids over drinking
and the reoccurring visitors that hope for a new sickness....

I still managed to sit in an isolated patient room for 3 hours.
This was my first time to the Dr out here in Atl
With out MOMMY AND DADDY i had to put my big girl pants on.

blah blah blah
 point is .. im still alive
No fatal illnesses
...that they could tell..

maybe for Ock ... he caught what ever i had.

They told me that i had a really bad reaction to Ragweed.
A raggedy ass weed that has been in abundance of pollination along the coast.

So they gave me 4 different pills to take to suppress my new formed allergies.
But i call bullshit.

Um 1st of all who gave you a PHD?!
Last time i checked seasonal allergies were not contagious.

2nd of all..... I'M SICK! END OF STORY
u literally gave me medication for no reason.

Thats the problem with doctors now days... NO STREET SMARTS!

anyways....


Today I edited some preliminary images from my first Oral Fixation shoot.

Here is a sneak peak of the shoot:


I realised a few thing when shooting this project.

1. i have to have a camera set up where i can take a photograph at any given moment

         i.e. stranger on the street.
     So i took notes of which camera settings were working best

Manual 1/60
580 flash +0% flash
with the lowest aperture available
Flash pointed up toward ceiling or bouncing off white wall (in doors)

This setup has allowed me to create images that resemble the work of a macro lens.
Played with my telescopic lens, but found i was not able to create the intimacy and angles i hoped for in this manner.

So i am still shooting with the basic 18-55mm kit lens.
Dont listen to people when they say you need a better lens.
This is doing just fine for my current works.
 played with different form compositions including:

tight on the lip
inside the mouth
the nose to chin region
and differnt angles.

I have comprised this short list as a must per each shoot:
- no smile
-smile
-nose to chin
-open mouth
-kiss face
-tongue

Then after i and my model becomes comfortable i am able to release a bit of creativity and fun with the shoot.

 Introducing images  ideas such as
-spit
-yawns
-natural laughs


I am excited to start shooting with new faces on Monday to introduce an abundance of textures and personalities to this series.

I also have come up with an idea for griding the digital side of my series.

Because some shots look better in the portrait format versus landscape i do not want to be limited as i have done to myself in the past.

I am thinking that the grid will have 1 vertical per 2 horizontal images
the horizontal images equaling to the size of the 1 vertical.
With this my mind opened to the possibility of per 3 images within the grid being one person presenting 3 different mouth gestures.

I believe doing so will introduce :

Synecdoche: 

"a part of a whole"

similar to Byron Kim's 8x10 painting of skin tones around the world.

 I think this will help me to address US (PEOPLE) as individuals, who are also apart of a whole in one place (Earth)
as a way of communicating cultural diversity to my audience.

Happy first day of Fall.
Stay warm and watch out for that raggedy ass weed.

-S

1 comment:

  1. So, is this a typology? If so, does uniformity of execution matter? Will variety reinforce the concept or detract from it?

    ReplyDelete