Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Concept...

As I continue to look out into the world for inspiration through books, websites, commercial media, photographers, yoga, portraiture, and mentors, I have been able to hone in on what I truly am aiming for. 

Let's call it "Skin" for now.


"Skin" is a series meant to deconstruct the modern day stereotype that black skin consists of few ranges.
This series is to show how black skin is and how is should be portrayed as equal.
Equal.
Equality within the African American culture.
To break surface barriers within one race of what is to be honorary.

I as a "redbone" black coming from a subculture family:
my father from the working class in Virginia
my mother from the upper class in Chicago
I feel it is necessary that we all be treated equally
in society, in our homes, and in media.

We, as a black society should not look against one another for our physical differences, but our commonalities, our unity, and strength.

I want this series to not only touch the African American community
but other ethnicity's alike.
To realize that black skin/people are beautiful in all shades that we are born into.
One should not be over look or favored over another based on skin tone.

For it is my belief that the soul, personality, and intentions of a person
should be closer analyzed than what our surface exteriors mimic.

I want this series to present the full spectrum/color wheel of black.
From albino, to African and all the in between.
I want us to be stripped of all other societal pressures,
Of clothing, jewelry,  and makeup
Presenting only the pure beauty that was God given.
The flesh.
Through striking lighting
And strong organic poses,
We will state that:

This is our skin,
Our heritage,
Our strength
It deserves to be celebrated.
And never again be shown in a lesser light.

IF YOU OUR A FRIEND WISHES TO BE APART OF THIS PHOTOGRAPHIC STATEMENT PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AT: STEPHANIEELEY@GMAIL.COM

disclosure: This shoot will consist of yoga entailed poses.

Thank you for feeling as compelled as I do.

-SME

*** Unedited DEMO Shots For This Shoot***






No comments:

Post a Comment