Saturday, November 10, 2012

Working Large

I love working on a large scale.
It is exciting to see the way your work translate in a large format
The process from in camera
to in computer
to mock up drafts
all do not hold up to the beauty that is reviled through a 5 foot by 4 foot print.

But this also leads to many problems.
Dealing with handeling
Pixel quality
mounting
Framing
Cost
and storing.

I realize that i am very ambitious
I need to slow down when handeling
Making sure to have good assistance
And a full developed plan on where the print goes
once out of the printer.

Thankfully i am surrounded by a great team of men
who are willing to help me at the wee hours of 2 am.
waiting and watching as the ink is slowly applied onto the luster coated paper
20....35....an hour goes by.
To the end
lets catch the print to avoid dirt and dust
Only for it to get ripped.
There goes $50
Next.
Dent.
$30
Next
Ink scratch.
$50

I can only imagine how much trial and error goes into professional printing
How much cost is associated with  maintaining a printer
restocking ink
providing and protecting papers.

A stressful job in deed.











Finally happy with my work
I have 4 prints.
And multiple artist proofs.

Learning to break away from my self given rules has allowed me to create grids that flow
That work visually.
Breaking up with the original shot in camera cropping was a hard task to do.
But once the divorce was official
I was able to freely destruct, construct, and create.



Viewing the works at the Mason Murer Gallery Friday night was a great break from the computer screen.
I was presented with many large scale images.
Images by amazing photographers and painters
The photo realism movement is ridiculous
Extremely challenging the viewers eye on what is a photo or not.

To see large scale prints and original painting sell for $50,000 dollars was shocking.
Gourmet Reese's cups dusted in gold served with champagne, i knew this is where i would hope for my works to show one day.

As i had a brief moment of resentment towards my decision of "large" prints from the stress caused this past week...
Seeing images SIX TIMES the size of mine, reassured me to continue.
And hopefully sell one of y prints for $50,000 one day!





(an image of a horse similar to this sold for $50,000)





FYI: dont eat at Jimmy Johns.
 A hobo could make a better sub.

Keep blogging!
-S

1 comment:

  1. It's true- the power of the large print has to be balanced with the nitty-gritty logistics of printing, handling, mounting, exhibiting, shipping, and storing them. Not easy problems to deal with.

    ReplyDelete